Packed with chocolate chips, gooey and indulgent, these Chocolate Brownies use dark muscovado sugar to add a more sophisticated flavour and are topped with a fresh strawberry buttercream… Perfect for Valentine’s Day!
Last week I shared the first of my Valentine’s Day recipes, Cherry Bakewell Shortbread Hearts. They are the perfect afternoon nibble for the special day while you’re snuggling with a cup of tea. These Sophisticated Strawberry Brownies are the perfect dessert option for February 14th. Gooey and decadent, the dark muscovado sugar adds a more sophisticated flavour while the fresh strawberries add the sparkle.
Brownies have long been a favourite with you on Knead to Dough. In 2015 my most popular recipe was these Cookie Dough Brownies, and since publishing my Terry’s Chocolate Orange Brownies in January only a few weeks ago, they are already up at the top spot! I hope these Sophisticated Strawberry Brownies bring you just as much enjoyment.
100g caster sugar
80g dark muscovado sugar
100g white chocolate chips
100g milk chocolate chips
30g cocoa powder
100g self raising flour
200g icing sugar
Fresh strawberries (about 3 large ones), chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 180’C and line a brownies tin, mine is about 20cm square.
2. Cream together the butter and both sugars until light and fluffy. Then mix in the chocolate chips.
3. Beat in your eggs, then fold in the flour and cocoa powder. If your mixture began to curdle when you added the eggs, a little bit of the flour should bring it back to a smooth batter again.
4. Spoon into your tin, level the surface and bake for 20-25 minutes until the Sophisticated Strawberry Brownies no longer wobble and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
5. Let the brownies cool in the tin. Once cooled, beat together your butter, icing sugar, and fresh strawberries and spread on top with a palette knife. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream for an indulgent gooey dessert!
I don’t know about you, but I’m actually really looking forward to Valentine’s Day this year. Simple but delicious treats like this mean you don’t have to spend a fortune to make the day and your partner feel special. After all, people do say food is the way to many people’s hearts. Please join in the baking chat on my Facebook page for more delicious recipes and ideas and don’t forget to stop back on Sunday for my weekly baking help column, Teatime!
You can also find me on…