Chunky blackberry jam and spiced brown sugar apples layered on vanilla shortbread and topped with crumble…
For this week’s Sweet Tuesdays, I bring you a humble family pudding in bar form, perfect to pop into packed lunches or munch for a quick breakfast on the go. They go great warmed up with your afternoon cuppa, too. Blackberries are still coming on the bushes by my home, much like apples on the tree, so I thought I would make the most of what is in season with this Blackberry Apple Crumble Shortbread Bars recipe!
I went for a vanilla shortbread base for these because my Lavender and Vanilla Shortbread Stars recipe is the most popular on this whole blog! I would never have guessed it would be when I posted it, but I’m so glad you like it and I want to give you more of what you love.
This Blackberry Bakewell Tart also went down a storm, something tells me you guys like puddings? Bakers after my own heart, if I could eat pudding for every course believe me I would! Puddings definitely inspired this bake, so I hope you like it! It’s a very simple recipe even though it has a few elements, but it can be all done in just over an hour.
For the shortbread:
300g plain flour
200g cold butter, diced
100g caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the blackberry and apple layer:
Sprinkling of cornflour/semolina
A few tablespoons blackberry jam (made with equal fruit to jam sugar)
3 apples, peeled, cored, and diced
2 teaspoons of mixed spice
3 teaspoons of light brown sugar
For the crumble topping:
75g plain flour
100g caster sugar
100 cold butter, diced
- Start by popping your fan oven on to 160’C and lining a tin, I used my square brownie pan.
- We’ll begin with the shortbread. Mix together the flour and sugar before adding the butter and vanilla. Rub in with your finger tips until the mixture resembles bread crumbs, then pull together into a ball of dough. Pat the dough down into your tin until level and filling it to the corners, prick with a fork, and bake for 15 minutes. Then turn the oven up to 180’C.
- In the meantime, prepare your apples by combining the chopped apple with the mixed spice and light brown sugar in a bowl. Get your blackberry jam at the ready, too.
- The last element is made much like the first. Stir the oats, plain flour, and caster sugar for the crumble topping together in a separate bowl before rubbing in the butter just like you did with the shortbread base. Don’t worry about bringing it together though, you want this one crumbly.
- Scatter a little cornflour or semolina over the shortbread to help absorb moisture from the apples as they cook, then spread on a layer of blackberry jam. Cover this with your chopped apples, pressing them right up to the edges and into the corners. Cover the top with crumble and bake for about 20 minutes until golden on top.
- Cool in the tin to room temperature before refrigerating for a few hours to set. Cut into slices and enjoy!
This recipe goes really really well with some hot custard as a warming dessert as well as a snack during the day. However you choose to enjoy these Blackberry Apple Crumble Shortbread Bars, I hope they go down a treat and make a kitchen classic a bit more versatile. Don’t forget to share pictures and stories with me by commenting or tagging me!
You can also find me on…